Who hasn’t fantasised about throwing someone’s phone out the window after reluctantly overhearing too many of their conversations? Mobile phone jammers will silence these eavesdroppers and all other calls (obscene or otherwise) in a given area. But are they legal? Here are some questions about jammers. You can see how much you know.
- Why were mobile phone jammers developed?
Signal jammers were invented as a tool to help law enforcement and the military block cellular communications. Several terrorist attacks in the past have relied on mobile phones to detonate explosives.
- How do jamming devices drown out mobile phones?
Jamming devices transmit on the same radio frequency as cellular phones and interrupt communication between the phone and the cellular base station in the tower.
- How far can a high power cellular jammer shut down service?
In the right environment, some high power jammers can interfere with cellular service up to 5 miles (8 km) away.
- Where was mobile phone jamming legalised in France in 2004?
France has decided to legalise mobile phones in cinemas, concert halls and other gaming venues.
- Cell phone jamming allegedly prevented an assassination attempt on which world leader?
A mobile phone jammer foiled an assassination attempt on Pakistani President Musharraf in December 2003. When President Bush visited London in November 2004, British police reportedly stopped using jammers to protect the President’s motorcade in London.
- What is the part of a jammer that produces the radio signal that interferes with telephone signals?
The voltage controlled oscillator is responsible for generating the radio signal that prevents the phone from being used.
- How do you know that your phone is jammed?
You may not know that your phone is jammed. The phone only indicates that there is no service or signal from the network. This is within reach of your provider.
- What should you do if you think your phone is stuck?
There is no need to forcibly arrest citizens. It only takes a few steps to get rid of WiFi jammers.